Hello, ladies. Welcome back!! You guys know I love a basic, chic, and classic look. Solid colors are my go to this Spring season. But prints, especially mixing prints was VERY intimidating for me. I just never thought I could pull it off because of how overwhelming print can make you feel. But then I realized mixing prints is a great way to refresh and revamp your wardrobe and create some new looks with prints you may already own!!
So in this post, I will be sharing how to mix prints for the beginner (like myself) and share some tips and 3 outfits that I created with prints I already owned in my closet. And a little help from Pinterest!
Outfit #1: Mix polka dots and stripes
- These are probably one of the easier prints to mix together because of the basic color scheme. The unifying color in this picture is white and navy found both in the pants and shirt making this outfit look cohesive.
- Working with a smaller print is a great starting point when mixing prints and when you feel more comfortable graduate to larger and bolder prints.
- This is a great outfit to wear to work. (I actually did) Because these are classic prints it gives for a more polished and sophisticated look, which is perfect for the workplace.
Zara top: similar
Walmart necklace: similar
Old Navy pants: similar
Outfit #2: Mix Floral Print and stripes
- This look is a little bolder, but you could totally pull it off so hear me out!!
- Remember to always find a unified color when mixing prints. That is what pulls the outfit together.
- In this picture, the floral top and the stripe pants both have that navy blue.
- I made sure to pair a larger print with a smaller print. The floral print is smaller compared to the thicker stripes on the pants, making the outfit visually interesting and add more contrast.
- This is such a fun look!!!
F21 top: similar
F21 pants: similar
JC Penny wedges: similar
Outfit #3: Mix polka dot blouse with a striped skirt
- Same principles apply here when mixing prints.
- The unifying color in this outfit is black and white.
- Because the polka dots are so small and the stripes are larger, they create great contrast for this outfit but still looks unified.
- This is another great look for beginners because it has neutrals in them. This is a little less intimidating.
- To add some edge to this outfit I added some leopard print heels.
- The prints are so timeless that by adding the leopard heels, you get a classic edgy look!!
- This outfit is perfect for work or church because the print is not too bold and the overall feel of the look is polished
F21 top: similar
Photography by Floyd Designs
So ladies here are some easy tips and 3 outfits on how to mix prints for beginners. It’s nice sometimes to think outside the box and mixing prints affords you to do that. It helps maximize the use of your wardrobe and creates more looks for you to try out. So I hope this post inspires you to dabble and start creating some mix prints of your own.
Which outfit is your favorite? Please leave a comment and if you love my weekly content please scroll to the bottom of the page and hit the subscribe button so you never miss a post! If you like the information, please share it on Facebook or Pinterest. I am on those social media platforms as @mymaynewardrobe. Have a wonderful day!